Re: Front furler Bamar MEJ upgrade to EJF? Is it worth it?

Scott SV Tengah

I have had the Bamar EJF for about a year and a half. They are definitely better than the old MEJ, but I did have to replace the Genoa EJF AGAIN after 6 months due to water ingress. Luckily Bamar covered it. My MEJ sounded like a dying cat and then eventually just gave up. Apparently the top seals dry out and water fills them. The EJF seem to work pretty well, though I wish I didn't have to replace the staysail furler since it really doesn't have super heavy loads. A manual system there would have made me perfectly happy.

Secondly, I was getting corrosion between the black aluminum casing and the stainless. As Olivier mentioned, prior to 2009, the bonding system and hence "mass light" was not connected to the rigging. I had an electrical leak related to the bow nav lights and a bit from the starboard windlass and it was causing all sorts of corrosion and wasn't detectable using the mass light. I've since fixed the electrical leak and through my replacement Shakespeare VHF antenna, the rigging is connected to the bonding system (as it is 2009+ Amels).
--
ScottĀ
2007 A54 #69