Re: How to clean the hull from diesel soot

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello Clive,

As all the larger Ale mels are center cockpit and the exhaust exits on port of the center cockpit, this is not readily feasable as you would need to drill a hole in the engine bay aft bulkhead.  This would destroy the “watertight bulkhead”.  In my opinion, not a good idea.

The Volvo TMD 22 seems the worst offender.

Boats are a compromise and at time of construction these engines met the Amel requirement.

You’ll likely live with the problem… like the rest of us… :-)

Jean-Pierre Germain, SY Eleuthera, SM 007, NZ

On 10 Mar 2020, at 08:16, Clive Chapman <cochapman@...> wrote:

A slightly left field approach...and with the caveat I’m not (yet) an owner!

Is there any reason why you couldn’t fashion a short extension to the exhaust so it exits 5-10cm off the transom? Would that be enough to push 95% of the smuts away from the boat?