Re: How to clean the hull from diesel soot

Jim Anderson

Carina, I apologize but I got distracted when aboard last weekend and forgot to see which black streak remover product I have aboard. It is one of these two:
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/sitesearch.aspx?keyword=black%20streak%20remover&sitesearch=true
On another note, in my opinion, which is likely to be well-disagreed with, if your engine is running well and properly maintained then unless you're trailing visible smoke in the air, the black streak is nothing to worry about. Diesel is dirty, exhaust is smoke and if our exhausts discharged from the transom instead of from the side nobody would notice. By way of example, I have a home that is heated by diesel (home heating oil) furnace. The manufacturer specifies that it is required to be cleaned annually and every year the technician says it's running perfectly as he cleans 2 gallons of soot from the exhaust.