From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io
Sent: 10 March 2020 02:11
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Volvo warning

Hi Paul,
I had the same thing in Grenada.
Grenada Marine were the Volvo agents but frankly were useless.
The technician arrived but could not log into the Volvo network as he had not paid up! He then tried to tell me it was the alternator. Anyhow I decided it was some kind of sensor or the Turbo and continue in limp mode. When we arrived in Martinique, the excellent Volvo agent plugged in his diagnostic computer and it was the Boost sensor that he had in stock and changed there and then. Cost 420 euros.
Nick
S/Y Amelia
AML 54 019
Kilada Greece
On 9 Mar 2020, at 17:09, ULRICH DANGELMEYER <ulrich.dangelmeyer@...> wrote:

Hi, Paul,

this error message sounds very familiar… on our D3-110 we had 3 years
ago, just when we wanted to leave, exactly such a message with red light warning, engine failure! no further information. You can read in your Volvo manual which error codes are displayed. But then you still don't know which error is present. In any case, you need a Volvo technician with a VODIA tester, who can read the error memory of your ECU and delete it later. In our case an experienced electronic technician first tried his luck, but he could only suspect a sensor error.
We then called the Volvo hotline to get a Volvo technician, which took time because we were on a small Greek island and didn't want to continue with the engine. With the tester he found the fault in two minutes: the boost pressure sensor. It had to be ordered, it was not in stock from Volvo in Greece, so it had to be delivered from Sweden. The whole thing cost us three weeks of our holidays and 1100 Euros. The (BOSCH) sensor costs about 150€, in our bill it were 280 €! The difference were diagnosis and traveling costs. Grrr...
It's a huge mess with the fully electronically controlled engines, just like in a car. In case of malfunctions you can only do the basics without tester and expertise. It's unimaginable when you are on a long passage and the error message comes. But the Volvo man had one small consolation: the engines all have an emergency program in background like in cars, that allows you to continue driving in a reduced gear without the engine breaking down. Of course, the oil and cooling must be right.

Hope this may help you a little bit, I like to recommend you to get directly in Touch with "VOLVO Action service“, a 24/7 „global break down service in 28 languages“.
Try +32 9 255 69 77 or (while you stay in Grenada): +1 336 393 4968.

My best wishes.
Stay calm and carry on..

Best Regards

Ulrich
„Soleil Bleu“ / A54 #088, Dodecanesos Greece.
<>

--
Cheers
Paul