Re: Cleaning the fuel tank

Patrick McAneny

Eric, There is at least one port on the top of the tank. It has never been cleaned, and since there is only a few gallons in the tank I thought it was a good time . I am not interested in polishing or saving the fuel ,just want to suck out any water or sludge that may be in the tank. My filters have also be pretty clean when changed and I have never at fuel issues,but it seems like a good preventive exercise.
Another issue is my filter is about a foot above the bottom of the tank, so if my fuel level is below a foot and I change my filter, fuel will not fill the filter, and if I fill the filter, it simply flows back to the tank, so I am going to lower the filter as much as possible . I was wondering if most filters are installed as low as possible. If I ran out of fuel, I would have to put in probably forty gallons or more to get fuel up to my filter. I suppose a inline pump would solve this as well.
Thanks,
Pat

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Mar 10, 2020 2:52 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Cleaning the fuel tank

Hi Pat,
Do you have inspection ports on your tank?
Why do you think you need to clean your tank?
Fair Winds
Eric
Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2020 2:24 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Cleaning the fuel tank

I have never cleaned a fuel tank and was wondering how one goes about it, I only now have about 10 gallons in the tank. Do you install a pump hose on the end of a length of 1/2 pcv tube and just move it around the bottom of the tank and see what comes out. Any suggestion on what type of pump.
Thanks,
Pat
SM#123

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.