Re: Cleaning the fuel tank

CAM WEATHERSTON

Hello,  we had to clean our fuel tank on our Tayana 37 and had pumped out most of the fuel. The grunge at the bottom was sucked out using a shopvac. Worked like a charm. Then spayed the inside with brake cleaning fluid....worked great.  Not a fun job....good luck with it.

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 1:40 PM Dan Carlson <carlsdan61@...> wrote:
On a related note.

I'm looking for the right material to replace the gaskets on the inspection ports.  Diesel is pretty hard on most gaskets.  I've tried two different "rubber" materials and have not been happy with either of them.  The second one was Nitrile, grade 60A. It was specifically recommended by the technical guy at Rubber-Cal for being best for deisel resistance, but it has deteriorate after a year or so.

Has anyone found a better product?

Thanks and regards, Daniel Carlson on sv BeBe, SM#387

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020, 2:24 PM Patrick McAneny via Groups.Io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have never cleaned a fuel tank and was wondering how one goes about it, I only now have about 10 gallons in the tank. Do you install a pump hose on the end of a length of 1/2 pcv tube and just move it around the bottom of the tank and see what comes out. Any suggestion on what type of pump.
Thanks,
Pat
SM#123