Re: Water Detection - Cleaning the fuel tank

Mark & Debbie Mueller

There is a product called Kolor Kut Water Finding Paste that is used by fuel stations to determine if there is water in their fuel storage tanks.  With the Amel we can put some of this on the bottom of the fuel dipstick, lower the stick in the tank, bring it up and if water is present the paste turns red.  Wipe the residue off when done.  My understanding is that the diesel bug microbe lives in the water layer using the oxygen contained in the water to survive.  Whether true or not this is an inexpensive method to check for water, a small tube is $7.50 and should last for years.  This or similar products are available on Amazon and other sites.  KolorKut website information is below:

·         For testing for the presence of water at the bottom of fuel storage tanks.

·         Suitable only for use with Petrol, Diesel, Kerosene, Gas Oil, Heating Oil, Heavy Oil, and Lubricating Oil

·         Applied to a rod / length of string with bottom weight, the brown paste changes colour to brilliant red where it comes into contact with water, giving you a visual indication as to the depth of the water present. The water can then be pumped out, and the test repeated until there is insufficient water to pump, at which point one of our Water-Seekers or Oilybits Water Absorbing Polymer can be used to absorb the last of it.

·         No official expiry date, will keep best when stored between 31F and 115F

They also have other products for gauging miscible water in various fuels and how deep the water is in the tanks.   www.kolorkut.co.uk

--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54