Re: [Amel] Re: Vertical Batons

Dave_Benjamin

Dr. Seidel,

Strong Track is fine product and we've sold many of their systems. Just for clarification their hardware is offered in naval brass or stainless rather than bronze. If anyone has questions about Strong Track feel free to email me or contact us through our website - www.islandplanetsails.com

We would have installed Strong Track on our Maramu however the previous owner installed a Harken BattCar system so we're sticking with that. I installed Strong Track on our previous boat though.

--- On Sun, 5/31/09, Dr. Seidel <mseidel@ec.rr.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [Amel] Re: Vertical Batons
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, May 31, 2009, 6:12 PM

I have very thin rods constituting my vertical battens. The basic problem with these in a sm349 mast is that the slot for the sail, designed to not have these battens is NARROW. If you cut both sides of the slot slightly larger, it would make the whole problem of a bigger roach held with vertical battens easy. The other alternative would be to slide a Strong Track up the groove and get a full sized main with slab reefing. The track is poly ethylene with bronze slides. When the halyard is let go, the sail fall like a rock. The backstay for the main sail would need to be further aft because this is the limiting factor in light air. The sail will hag up on the backstay.

UK in Ft. Lauderdale can make a larger main with a bigger leach or roach, and put in these thin battens, but you must make them reinforce the batten pockets better. Mine all ripped the top ends going off shore from Lauderdale to Wilmington N.C..

Murray Seidel sm349 919-470-1225

----- Original Message -----

To: amelyachtowners@ yahoogroups. com

Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 11:17 AM

Subject: [Amel] Re: Vertical Batons

Just to balance this thread, I recently helped Kent Robertson sail "Kristy", his new-to-him SM#243, from Galveston to Key West. (You may recall his postings back in March & April). He had just installed new sails with vertical battens in the main.

Kent may want to weigh in here, too, but IMHO, the vertical battens were great. They furled flawlessly in heavy and light air and the sail was always beautifully shaped. No way to know definitively about added speed, but to an old racing skipper's eye they were the cat's meow.

Certainly the point about potential furling problems is prefectly valid and a very conservative approach may argue against them - a few tenths of a knot, perhaps, vs. a higher comfort level, but, hey, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla - take your pick!

Cheers,

Craig Briggs - Santorin #68 "Sangaris" in Siracusa, Sicily

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.