From: Dr. Seidel <mseidel@ec.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Amel] Re: Vertical Batons
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, May 31, 2009, 6:12 PM

I have very thin rods constituting my vertical battens. The basic problem with these in a sm349 mast is that the slot for the sail, designed to not have these battens is NARROW. If you cut both sides of the slot slightly larger, it would make the whole problem of a bigger roach held with vertical battens easy. The other alternative would be to slide a Strong Track up the groove and get a full sized main with slab reefing. The track is poly ethylene with bronze slides. When the halyard is let go, the sail fall like a rock. The backstay for the main sail would need to be further aft because this is the limiting factor in light air. The sail will hag up on the backstay.

UK in Ft. Lauderdale can make a larger main with a bigger leach or roach, and put in these thin battens, but you must make them reinforce the batten pockets better. Mine all ripped the top ends going off shore from Lauderdale to Wilmington N.C..

Murray Seidel sm349 919-470-1225