Re: WiFi Extenders - best 2019-2020

marty hameline

Good advice Paul

On Mar 14, 2020, at 1:32 PM, Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...> wrote:

I do not recommend systems that use a USB cable to the antenna (such as Red Box). There is too much power loss in these cables.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98 - Grenada

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Matt Salatino via Groups.Io
Sent: 14 March 2020 13:17
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] WiFi Extenders - best 2019-2020

There are many systems out there to choose from. Costs for the kit start at close to $400.

They consist of a Ubiquity bullet (a radio receiver tuned for 2,4 ghz), a PoE injector (Power over Ethernet), and a wireless router. Of course it includes the requisite cabling.

The kit parts can be purchased separately, for about $240, but the process of getting things programmed and talking to each other requires an I.T. professional, or software Engineer. (I’ll assume you’re not one, as if you were, you wouldn’t be asking in the first place.)

As I said, there are many kits available, this is but one:

Good luck we have one installed and it works well. We have good bandwidth up to about a kilometer, and workable data, not streaming, but email, web browsing, at up to 2 miles, depending on the strength of the source.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Mar 14, 2020, at 3:32 PM, martin haméline <marafiki37@...> wrote:

Hola Amelians,

I am looking for current reviews on the best wifi extenders.......

I searched the user site files and couldn't find anything new or relevant.   Objective is to grab shore wifi while at anchor and work remotely with video calls, email etc... I know the quality depend on the source..

Appreciate your experience as I am looking to buy a system now.

Cheers,

Martin hAMELine

SV VoileOvent

Maramu # 129