Re: Hatch handle seat (corners) for Goiot tradition series

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Hi Charles,

Thanks for laying out the process for me. Very cool. And I appreciate your thoroughness.

I think it's best if we get you a sample in hand. If we can't find one from another owner, perhaps I can remove one off my boat and ship it.

Does anyone reading this have a spare Goiot hatch corner seat (tradition series) that we could borrow for this project?

If there's not a big price difference between materials then the aluminum might be better. My existing ones are a type of polymer and most have not survived the test of time. That said, I'm not sure how long they've been installed (decades?) so perhaps replacement now is totally acceptable. I also don't want all of my handles to now fail if the corner seats are stronger (see attached photo).

At any rate, I'll work to get you a proper sample asap and we can go from there.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
Opua, NZ

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020, 2:28 PM Charles Bell <shipbldr2000@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hello Mike,

Thank you for the kind words on the parts I made. Yes, I am in the US.

It took me 5 or 6 weeks to make the batch of parts you see in the pictures. The steps are:

  • I spent about a week measuring and drawing the parts, thinking about which measurements are critical for the part to work, and then tweaking the 3D model and cut path. On this project, I am wondering a lot about
    • The inside corner where the plate and wall meet. I am thinking about doing a rounded curve with a ball mill and need to make sure it will not interfere with the latch sweep.
    • The necessary thickness of the base plate and if we might need to make it from aluminum to survive abuse (or if the touch composite I used on the handles will do the job well)
  • After tweaking the design files, I cut samples from scrap, verified the fit on the boat, and then ordered material.
    • The black plastic you see takes me about a week to get in
    • The aluminum can sometimes be *found* in the cut-offs pile of my shop. Otherwise, it is usually 2 days to get in the stock.
  • Then I waited to get machine time to cut the parts. The machines in the shop usually run 24x7 and personal projects have to run on the weekends.
  • Once I had machine time, things happened really fast. Most of the parts you saw in my pictures were a minute or two per cycle.
  • Then the aluminum parts were anodized, about a 3 day turn around.
Assuming no surprises, this is about 4 to 6 weeks.

Without a sample of the original part in hand, there is a really high probability of surprises.

Maybe we can find somebody in the group who has a broken one they could part with temporarily?

Let's find a way to do this, I enjoy these sorts of challenges.

Charles