Re: Front furler Bamar MEJ upgrade to EJF? Is it worth it?

Courtney Gorman

Here Is the issue the old Furler was smaller and so the wires coming out of the Furrer and back through the deck did not have to loop back up as they do in this photo so the water can get stuck especially if the seals on top are not properly sealed

Cheers 
Courtney 
Trippin 54 #101
LE Marin 

On Mar 3, 2020, at 8:08 PM, Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

I also have a problem understanding the issue on the furler drainage. The thick black (electrical) cable does go via a ss pipe (if I remember correctly) into the sail/bow locker and on AMELIT the caulking around that cable into the ss pipe was compromised and allowed water into the sail/bow locker. Once we fixed that no more water via that entry into the locker.

When I am back on the boat I will check if there is a drain plug on the bottom of the furler.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

On the hard in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

March 3, 2020 17:08:08

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

You can follow AMELIT via this link: https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/AMELIT

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Arno Luijten via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, March 3, 2020 04:50
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Front furler Bamar MEJ upgrade to EJF? Is it worth it?

I replaced both furlers with the EJF’s. Since they use a planetary gear system instead of belts and worm-gears the torque provided by the furler is about twice as high compared to the original MEJ’s at the same power consumption. For me they are working well, When furling in strong winds I can’t hear the motor being stressed at all, it furls in quite smoothly.

I have a hard time understanding the thing Courtney mentions about the cable sleeve also used for draining any water that enters the unit. When you buy the units the sleeve is quite long and I cannot imagine some Italian designer thinks to use it as a drain pathway. It seems more that you must prevent water to enter the sleeve so it cannot reach the unit.

Do make sure you use the electronically controlled Boxtrons in conjunction with the new furlers as they also provide a soft-start to make it easier on the rig.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121 

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.