Re: Yanmar 4JH3-HTE Fresh Water Pump Replacement

eric freedman

If you do not have the gasket you can go to an auto supply and get gasket material. It comes in sceehs and with a razor knife and scissors you can make a gasket. An o ring should not be difficult to find.

The purpose  of the coolant is to keep the inside of the block from rusting in addition to other things.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dan Carlson
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 10:52 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Yanmar 4JH3-HTE Fresh Water Pump Replacement

Good morning all, it is time for me to replace the fresh water pump on the YANMAR 4JH3-HTE (100hp Turbo) diesel.   The original plan was to have it done in Martinique, but it has started to leak from the shaft seal at the front of the engine.  I am currently at Les Saintes and with the Covid 19 situation it seems prudent to stay here for a bit.  I already have the replacement pump. But I have a few questions:
1) I'm not sure that I have the right gasket to go between the water pump and the engine, but I have lots of Permatex #2 and 26B Gasket maker, will one of those be ok? There is at least one other gasket for the thermostat and an O-ring that I also may be missing. 
2) Coolant there is not much choice for coolants here but the manual indicated you can run on clean fresh water. I've only heard of people using coolant, but open to other perspectives ( I do know it is important not to mix different coolants)
3) any other tricks , traps or learnings from others who have done the job would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Daniel and Lori Carlson on sv BeBe, SM #387

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.