Re: SM Fuel Tank Inspection Port Gaskets?

eric freedman

Hi Daniel,

I removed the inspection port about 10 years ago.  I used a truck inner tube as the material to make a new gasket. I have had no problems since. I opened the tank because there was debris in the bottom of the tank, It was the silicone caulking that Amel used on the gasket. I called Permatex and asked what should I use.

They suggested a tube of sealant that racers use on motorcycles. Being that for each race , depending on the track, they change the  gears.

It remains pliable .

I do not know the name as I am not on Kimberlite. It is grey, in a grey tube and can be purchased at a motorcycle shop.

NOTE:  Amel puts a strainer into the tank behind the shutoff valve, It is the same material Amel uses on the bathroom drains. In my case it was clogged. To remove the valve to get to the strainer you need a very thin wrench, we call it a tappet wrench.

It was interesting what happened when we came back from France via the Caribe. The engine would stop , I would wait a minute and it would start.

Finally after crossing the Atlantic and the Caribe, the engine stopped and would not start 10 miles from my home.

My crew said call a towboat. I said I would be damned if I would get a tow after all those miles.

I finally remove the hose from the Racor filter and no diesel came out.

I put the hose into the bell of an air horn and when I heard the tank started bubbling,  I started the engine

and motored home.  If anyone ever has the same problem, this is an easy way to temporarily clear the filter.

Amel paid to have the fuel removed and cleaned. At that time I cleaned the strainer.

No more problems after 7000 engine hours on the engine.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376