Re: Head discharge hose clogged with calcification

johnabo2003 <no_reply@...>

Hi Bill,

I had the same problem. I went to Home Depot and rented a small hand held drain snake, not the variety on the drum, but instead the type that is fairly short and attatched to a crank handle. With this device I was able to "break through" the blockage. I would recommend putting some masking tape over the wooden cutout frames to avoid scratching them.

I would also recommend sending a similar slightly longer device up the discharge side from the outside of the boat.

After I cleared as much of the blockage as I could I shut off the seacock and filled the holding tank with a mxture of fresh water and septic tank cleaning solution. I let it soak for a day or so and then opened up the seacock while at the same time flooding the holding tank with fresh water via the pump out opening.

Hope this helps.

John Abercrombie
SM 391

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "svbebe" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

I searched and searched because I remember someone describing how they solved the problem I have, but I could not find the posting.

One of our heads stopped discharging. I removed the prox 1" hose that is the discharge hose from the maceration pump and found it partially clogged with calcification. I also removed the prox 2" diameter 10" long hose that the 1" hose connects to and found it completely blocked with calcification.

The metal brass or bronze pipe that the 2" hose connects to is also blocked with calcification. The hoses are removable/replaceable and easy to take care of...the pipe has got me!

I was able to remove a considerable amount of calcification from the pipe with various screwdrivers, but it is still blocked.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Best,

Bill
s/v BeBe SM2 #387