Re: WOB Corrosion

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Kent, looks ugly. When your prop shaft zinks fell off did you replacen immediately. Also, the fact they just coroded around the stainless bolts could sugest limited contact with the prop. I have used cone prop zincs in the past and they corroded all over, certainly faster around the bolts. However for some years I have used shaft zincs betwen the prop and the c drive housing(i dont have line cutters) They have corroded relatively evenly.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 29 March 2020 at 08:32 "karkauai via Groups.Io" <karkauai@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I’m hauled out for bottom paint and servicing the Amel-supplied WOB and bow thruster seals.  It has been 4.3 years as I have had Island 44 on the bottom, and it lasts that long.  No water ingress and no oil loss.”, so I haven’t done the service until now.  Please see the pic of the WOB.  It is crumbling apart as if it were damaged by corrosion/electrolysis.  The hull potential has been perfect at -980mv every time I’ve checked it, and the rudder zincs have lasted almost a year with normal erosion.  I have used prop zincs on it since I had the prop shaft electrolysis a few years ago.  They have disappeared after a few months, mostly because they erode at the bolt hole edges and fall off, rather than completely erode away.

It’s going to be a bitch to get out, but bigger question is why did it corrode?  Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Kent
SM 243
Kristy