Re: WOB Corrosion

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi again Gary and Kent, further to my last. I do depart from Amel advice regarding zincs. Because the c drive, the shaft and the propeller are so critical I always have a shaft zinc between the prop and the c drive. Yes the Amel bonding system makes this unnecessary, but only if all the connections are always perfect and in my long experience it is very difficult on a boat to be certain that all connections are always perfect. This is my backup defence. I know it can be argued that this means I am "over zincing" but I prefer that risk to the other. I have the plastic cone on the prop.

Kind regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 31 March 2020 at 06:33 "Gary Silver via Groups.Io" <garysilver@...> wrote:

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 11:55 AM, karkauai wrote:
bottom line for me is that while hull potential is a good measure of overall bonding efficacy, we must REGULARLY measure continuity at ALL metals exposed to sea water to confirm that they are protected.  It goes on my quarterly maintenance list today.

Hi Kent:  What a great find and a great discussion along with Joel's post.  Sooooo valuable.  Thanks for sharing.  Glad you got that WOB (wearing out bearing) out.  It is still a bit of a mystery to me as to why only that corroded.  The color (salmon like) looks like de-zincification.  I am only speculating but, since brass is copper and zinc, the zinc in the brass was the least noble element in that vicinity (i.e.the prop, c-drive shaft etc.) Everything must have all been more noble metals, so with no continuity of the C-drive to the normal sacrificial anodes (on the rudder), the WOB became the sacrificial anode for your C-drive.  I guess it only corroded where it was in contact with sea water and hence the lack of corrosion "inside" the lip seals etc.

Again, thanks for you invaluable reminder about preventative diagnostics on our bonding system.

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona    (Puerto Del Rey Marina, in-accesible due to Puerto Rico's COVID-19 quarantine)
SM 2000 # 335