Re: Bow Thruster Siezed

I saw your photo with the jack pushing the coupling upward. Am I mistaken that it has moved 6-8mm?

This should be a warning to everyone with a bow thruster prior to the Side-Power in A-54's that service on this valuable component is important. I recommend service every 2 years.

Back to your issue. Of course, I do not know all of the details and long-distance diagnosis is problematic, but here are a few things that you may not know:
  1. That bow thruster tube is probably impossible to get at any price. It may be possible that Amel will either have one sitting on a shelf or make one. I doubt it, but you should write and ask SAV"at"amel.fr.
  2. Later model bow thrusters had a 60mm composite tube. Amel fabricated a 60mm tool for the purpose of removing a stuck tube from the motor base of later model bow thrusters. It is possible to make your self or get from Amel when they reopen from the current shut down.
    image.png
  3. The most important thing you need in this process is patience. How long have you left the jack under pressure?
  4. Don't use heat as you will likely damage the tube and of course cutting it will put you out of service forever.
  5. You might consider sealing the bow thruster from the outside with resin and glass which you remove later when you have a solution.
  6. There is a high-carbon steel shaft inside the composite tube.
  7. You might want to look at the high-quality photos here:  http://nikimat.com/bow_thruster_overhaul.html

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar
cloudHQPowered by
cloudHQ

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 10:29 AM Ellen Cahill <ellencahill@...> wrote:
Hi everyone!

I was hoping somebody could help with a particularly troublesome bow thruster. We bought out Mango 3 years ago and we have been doing short sails while slowly refurbishing her.

We have a number of times attempted to remove the bow thruster foot assembly to no avail. This past winter it started leaking so now it has to be removed to replace the seals. I've no idea if the previous owner had ever removed it.

We have removed the 4 bolts but the shaft is jammed in the rust encrusted top motor assembly. We have since
- applied vibration with a sander
- sprayed penetrative oil in the 4 holes (every day for a week)
- tapped with a hammer
- dropped it about 10 times
- put a stick between the bottom v section and the hull while jacking up the motor assembly from the inside. Slowly applying more press and oil over a week.

It hasn't moved at all. The leak is unacceptable so we are now considering cutting the shaft or motor holder. Really not ideal.

Anyone have suggestions of what to try next?
What is the black shaft made from?  What's inside the composite shaft?
Can you buy this foot assembly from Amel? Idea on cost?

 Thanks for any help!