Re: Parts or replacements for Antal 120x18 genoa sheet blocks

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello Ryan and Kelly,

I refurbished my original turning blocks by replacing both the needle bearings and the race bearings.  Works like new.  These were sourced in NZ and total. Cost was less than NZ$300…

Best of luck,

Jean-Pierre Germain, SY Eleuthera, SM007, Opua, NZ.
Jean-Pierre Germain

On 5 Apr 2020, at 04:53, Ryan Meador <ryan.d.meador@...> wrote:

Hi all,

As we prepare for the sailing season this spring, we've noticed our genoa sheet blocks are in pretty bad shape.  Some of the ball bearings are cracked or crushed.  At the very least, I think the bearings need to be replaced.  I wouldn't be opposed to replacing the whole blocks.

Does anyone know where I can get replacements?  I've looked around on the Antal website and they don't seem to make this exact model anymore (they still make it in larger sizes though).  This block is the closest I've been able to find, but it looks like the shackle can only be at 90 degree angles (the existing blocks have the shackle set at about 45 degrees and it doesn't seem possible to rotate).  Would it work?  That shackle angle seems pretty important to me.  I also discovered this replacement sheave which looks like it might fit our existing blocks, but I'd probably have to contact Antal to confirm.

Thanks,

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA