From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of David Mackintosh
Sent: Friday, June 05, 2009 6:15 AM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Amel] Radar Reflectors

Yes read all of that before BUT this was conducted in laboratory conditions.
Shame they could not have got hold of a real ship and a few boats/yachts and
gone out into mid channel and did some real life tests - i think the SeaMe
would have still won but wonder what sort of performance the passive
reflectors would have achieved. I know of some real life tests where one of
the popular can reflectors they tested (you have a choice of two make a
guess) was totally useless - did not enhance the targets radar signature at
all :-(

I guess a SeaMe and an AIS transducer is now the best way of being seen by
the BIG Boys if you sail in or transit busy shipping waters. Dont suppose
this stops a submarine hitting you or surfacing under your boat.....and
before you say unlikely we had one boat over here get hit by the periscope
of a submerged submarine and there was a fairly large Japanese survey boat
got sunk by a submarine doing i think a emergency surfacing drill.

regards

David

2009/6/5 kimberlite <kimberlite@optonlin <mailto:kimberlite%40optonline.net>
e.net>

Hi,

I came across this analysis of radar reflectors.

Looks like the see me unit out performs them all.

Glad I have one. Thanks Ian.

http://www.ybw. <http://www.ybw.com/pbo/pdfs/radar_reflectors.pdf>
com/pbo/pdfs/radar_reflectors.pdf

Fair Winds,