Re: [Amel] Re:Head discharge hose clogged with calcification

Giovanni TESTA

Hi Bill,
thanks so much for info " Head service"
Please I need some more info to be ready to the job when I'll be again on board.
Now I'm at home , Venezia, and Eutikia, SM2K n 428, in Venezuela.
- wich is the diameter of the wire you used ?
- wich the length of the 2 hoses of 25 mm and 38 mm I have to replace?
I wish to have all in my suitcase.
All the best and..buon vento.
Giovanni Testa
EUTIKIA n 428

----- Original Message -----
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 11:50 AM
Subject: [Amel] Re:Head discharge hose clogged with calcification

We did not know we had a problem with calcified deposits in the Aft head discharge line until it clogged completely.

The first indication that the hoses were calcified happened when I pulled on the 25mm hose and heard a cracking.

I removed the 25mm hose from the back of the toilet and pulled it through the lower shelf area. I loosened the hose clamp on the 38mm hose and removed it from the bronze pipe at the base of the holding tank. Both hoses were completely calcified. I replaced the hoses and thought it was repaired. I reconnected everything, but it was still clogged with absolutely no discharge flow. I found the bronze pipe completely calcified.

This is a real problem to remedy because cleaning the bronze pipe will get the wool-lined storage area filthy. I had a shop vac nearby and started with my first cleaning tool which was a piece of 1" stainless tube that I cut teeth into one end and plugged the other end with a cork. This was a tough job and required lots of muscle power, but the tool worked and I cleared about 1 foot of the bronze pipe. Unfortunately my "tube-tool" was not long enough so I made my second tool out of a 2 foot length of stainless rigging wire. I crimped a small tube on one end leaving about 1 ½" of wire which I spread apart. On the other end I connected my electric drill. In a few minutes the job was complete. I shampooed the wool lining and put everything back together.works great. I am surprised at how much better it works than before.

I created a photo album titled "Head Service." You should be able to link to my photo of my tools described above at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners/photos/album/1980087538/pic/1719045260/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc

Click on "Large" for the best view.

Best,

Bill
S/V BeBe - SM2 - #387

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nessun virus nel messaggio in arrivo.
Controllato da AVG - http://www.avg.com
Versione: 8.0.176 / Database dei virus: 270.12.20/2100 - Data di rilascio: 06/05/2009 6.04

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.