Re: Excessive usage of water maker membranes

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Mark.

I am very careful about where i run my watermaker. Never in a marina and it has to be an exeptionaly clean harbour before I will run it there. Also I am paranoid about even traces of chlorine. It is many years since I allowed any chlorinated water into my tank. However you living full time aboard would suggest a lot of use. Like a car,  its not the time that wears them out but the milage.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 19 April 2020 at 12:21 Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

I need a little help with water maker usage and maintenance, please.

Cream Puff has a 24v D60 water-maker. My problem is we seem to be going through membranes at the rate of a pair a year. I have read where others have used the same set of membranes for years and still get drinkable water. This is not the case with us. We are in our 5th year of full time cruising and are now on our 6th set of membranes.

When I last change membranes in Colombia, this was about March 2019. Our current membranes are just over a year old. The PPMs are starting to creep up a bit now and we have gone from the 300 range to the 500 range. We notice a change in drinking quality over 600 PPMs. This is when we usually change the membranes.

We run the water-maker at least once a week when in a marina, flush it with the fresh water rinse. I have a double charcoal filter set up for the tank rinse. When on anchor it is run just about every day. I am careful to watch the pressure and water making float gauge. I normally set it at 55 liters per hour and this put the pressure in lower side of the green range.

Any ideas why our membranes are not lasting or why our PPMs creep up?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us