Re: Where to put the life raft

Teun BAAS

When replacing my OEM 8 person raft last year I was told similar; you don’t want a life raft much larger than the expected occupancy. Having 2 people in an 8 persons raft makes it also vulnerable to being blown/turned upside down in which case you will never be able to right it again in heavy sea: thus virtually impossible to survive as the top of the life raft can NOT function as a solid bottom.

So I got a new 4 person life raft to replace the 8 person ZODIAC. Also – since ZODIA was no longer produced/available & all replacements were deeper it necessitated a welding adjustment to the cradle in the rail.  

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

Currently on the hard in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

April 20, 2020 14:03:58

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

You can follow AMELIT via this link: https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/AMELIT

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Thomas Kleman via groups.io
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2020 13:10
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Where to put the life raft

For what it's worth, I was talking to a coast guard guy about rafts recently. I was about to replace my 6 person zodiac with another 6 person raft. He cautioned that most bail out injuries happen after you're in the raft getting thrown around. He said 2 people in a 4 person raft was probably safer as you tend not to be propelled from one side to the other. It's also lighter obviously when deploying it.

Thomas Kleman
SV L'ORIENT
SM2K 422
Oahu

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.