Re: Membrane Tube end caps

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Arno,

If I keep responding like this people may think I am an "expert". I am not. Just been around for a while. Puzzled by the issues with the end caps. Mine have certainly never gone soft nor caused problems (see my previous post). As to removing them there have been a number of innovative suggestions on the forum. The best I have tried is to take a about 1,5 m to 2 m of cord. Dyneema is good, no stretch. Double it to make a loop and secure the ends on either side of the end cap with a hose clamp. Place the loop over the winch on the side of the mizzen. Holding the membrane tube in both hands with the cord slack, tug sharply. Works a treat. Last tip. As you disassemble the unit carefully mark all parts to enable correct reassembly. Saves the OH s...... moments

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 21 April 2020 at 09:33 Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:

I find the endcaps extremely poorly designed and made in such a way that removal because a needlessly complicated struggle. Even the black ones are silly expensive and prone to deterioration over time. The plastic becomes soft at the inside where it's exposed to salt water.

I'm sure there must be better designs for this.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121