Re: Leece -Neville Alternator external regulator install

Dan Carlson

Hello Kevin,  I am very happy with the WakeSpeed 500.

Here is a photo of my install. I attached a plywood mounting board to the aft bulkhead of the engine room, behind the engine/alternator. (With some rubber spacers between the bulkhead and the board for the sound insulation.

This board has the WS500 control box and a Sterling Alternator Protection device to dissapate a voltage spike if the BMS disconnected the batteries. I also installed a simple toggle switch just above the. Controller that.allows me to manually switch the controller directly to "Float" stage. You can also see the wiring on the alternator in the foreground of the photo.

I used the standard lithium setting on the WS500 (dip switches), including the setting for 75% max output.

On Bulk stage I've seen a max of ~130amps and a max temperature on the alternator casing of ~160F. The output current carries appropriately with engine RPM.   I have not logged too many hours on "Bulk" but belt tension and wear has been fine.  When I set the controller directly to float stage I've seen about 70amp output that tapers off to zero net current as the battery voltage reaches 26.72v. The temp on the alternator casing reaches about 125 F.

Best regards, Daniel Carlson on sv BeBe, SM #387, currently in Les Saintes, Guadelopue.

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020, 7:20 PM Kevin Fox via groups.io <foxkm=protonmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Dan,

I'm planning to install the Wakespeed WS500 on Rascal.  We have the Leece Neville 175A alternator and AGM batteries, and this regulator sounds like the way to go.  May I ask how your install turned out?  Any surprises with the wiring?  Where did you end up mounting the regulator?

Thanks very much,
Kevin

--
Kevin Fox and Family