Re: Engine room hatch repair

Giovanni TESTA

Hi Alan.

I had same problem when I was at Krabi Marina_Thailand. I was luky because inside marina there was a workshop perfect for the job.

Any way you found some photos from my archive.

I remember (2015) that it was important to remove the door and to well clean rusty side.

Than a new fiberglass layer to support the steel plate  as in photos

On the upper side (cockpit) one steel plate with 2 through screws to tighten the inside plate.

All this in synthesis the system,  but you can adapt it with better technical precautions.

The work is still perfect , no water inside, and it seems good looking.

Buon Vento

Giovanni Testa

sv EUTIKIA  SM2K 428

GREEK_PREVEZA ( We at home Venezia )

Il 23/04/2020 14:31, Alan Grayson ha scritto:
Hi All, the mild steel that supports the gas struts in my engine room hatch has gotten water into it and is rusting away and expanding causing a bulge in the engine room hatch in 2 spots.
Has anyone done this repair?
I am planning on cutting the whole strengthener area ( which I've been told is end grain balsa) digging all the old balsa out as well as the mild steel backing then replacing it with something, maybe 3/8 plywood then fiberglassing the removed panel back together.
For the mild steel plate I was just going to strengthen that area with fiberglass and thru bolt thru the hatch.
Does anyone have better ideas?
Regards
Alan Grayson
SV Ora Pai SM 406
St Lucia

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.