Re: Engine room hatch repair

Giovanni TESTA

Hi Alan.

I had same problem when I was at Krabi Marina_Thailand. I was luky because inside marina there was a workshop perfect for the job.

Any way you found some photos from my archive.

I remember (2015) that it was important to remove the door and to well clean rusty side.

Than a new fiberglass layer to support the steel plate  as in photos

On the upper side (cockpit) one steel plate with 2 through screws to tighten the inside plate.

All this in synthesis the system,  but you can adapt it with better technical precautions.

The work is still perfect , no water inside, and it seems good looking.

Buon Vento

Giovanni Testa

sv EUTIKIA  SM2K 428

GREEK_PREVEZA ( We at home Venezia )

Il 23/04/2020 14:31, Alan Grayson ha scritto:
Hi All, the mild steel that supports the gas struts in my engine room hatch has gotten water into it and is rusting away and expanding causing a bulge in the engine room hatch in 2 spots.
Has anyone done this repair?
I am planning on cutting the whole strengthener area ( which I've been told is end grain balsa) digging all the old balsa out as well as the mild steel backing then replacing it with something, maybe 3/8 plywood then fiberglassing the removed panel back together.
For the mild steel plate I was just going to strengthen that area with fiberglass and thru bolt thru the hatch.
Does anyone have better ideas?
Regards
Alan Grayson
SV Ora Pai SM 406