Re: Leece -Neville Alternator external regulator install

Kevin Fox

Dan - Thanks very much for your detailed response and photo.  I appreciate your help.  I hadn't considered the Sterling alternator protector as we don't (yet) have LiFePO4 batteries, but installing one now wouldn't hurt.  I worry about one of us trying to stop the Yanmar with the ignition key switch and damaging the alternator.

Do you use a current shunt with the WS500 or is it only monitoring voltage?  We have a Victron BMV-700.  I don't know whether the shunt for the battery monitor could be shared with the regulator (haven't looked into it).

Oliver - Thank you for your suggestion regarding using the old regulator as a protective cover.  I will heed your advice.

--
Kevin Fox and Family
SM404 Rascal