Re: Lewmar acrylic lens replacement on Amel 54

Barry Connor

Hi Oliver and Uno,

I am searching online the prices and availability for repair and replacement. I have onboard and always use Duralac as any S/S with Aluminum is a problem. I can see already the problem of separating these hatches.

I have not found any "PINK" Lewmar lenses for the MK2 medium profile hatches, only clear and grey.The Lewmar Ocean series hatches appear to be pink.

Did Amel have a special color lens made?
Did Amel have a special order hatch made by Lewmar?

All the Goiot port lights are smoked grey. The windscreens and side acrylics are clear.

Can any members advise me about getting shipments from the US cleared in Martinique?

Thanks in advance
Best

Barry and Penny
"SV Lady Penelope II"
Amel 54.  #17
Sainte Anne anchorage Martinique

On Sunday, April 26, 2020, 2:58:28 PM EDT, Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:

Hi Oliver,

To replace the lens you need to split the two halves of the frame of the moving part. These are basically two C-shapes that are mirrored relative to each other. The eindpoints are connected with small screws and a connection part that slides in the frame. The split is across the length axis of the boat with one split between the hinges. To take it apart you must separate the moving part from the part screwed to the deck. Getting the screws out is a pain and is better to be done in a workshop.
But first you need to get the hinge-pins out, that can be a big problem as well. On our 54 they used a trick to break the hinge-pins to free the moving part. In the workshop they removed the remains and replace the rubbers. Back on the boat they used new pins and adequate quantities of anti-seize paste (Duralac/Tefgel).
I agree with a previous contributor that it may be cheaper to buy new hatches. The problem I saw was that Amel used a high-gloss frame and all the ones I saw had a matte frame.

Regards,
Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121