Re: Lewmar acrylic lens replacement on Amel 54

Barry Connor

Hi Teun,
Your boat "Amelit" has a fantastic sailing history. I followed the videos before we bought our 54 in 2015. I can imagine what the sun in the Pacific did to the rubbers, glad you were able to fix the seals.
I like the idea of putting a film over the lens, will look into that.
I have worked out the sizes, some traders are putting wrong lens sizes on the internet.
Lewmar grey and smoke grey lenses are what is confusing, the grey is what looks like on our boat as pink. Complete new hatches from Lewmar are not polished aluminum and are smoke grey.
By the time you add new pins, screw fittings to the replacement acrylic lens from Lewmar and then add the  labour cost you are at the complete hatch price. You can get the acrylic lens cut but then you still need the other bits, seal, pins, screws.
Looks like I will have some new base frames available if anyone on the forum might need them.

I thank all for the advise and information.

Best

Barry and Penny
"SV Lady Penelope II"
Amel 54.  #17
Sainte Anne anchorage Martinique

On Monday, April 27, 2020, 1:47:13 PM EDT, Wolfgang Weber via groups.io <webercardio@...> wrote:

Hi Arno,
it is the  3M  Silver 15  exterior - see data attached. I bought 3,0 m x 0,914 m  for 76 € online. Years before I used  no-name product which was blind after 1 year. Especially the captains cabin got very hot before I made the 3M on the Lewmar Acrylic lens. It only reduces a little bit of light - see data.
Installation is easy- spray bottle with little soap. Before you polish the acrylic lens, handles etc screwed off, spray both - 3M and acrylic lens with watersprayer, with 4 hands put 3M on window, push away the water with creditcard. you will be better after 4 hatches.
Wolfgang SY Elise Amel 54 #162