Re: Top loading galley fridge/freezer used as a fridge: No?

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hello,

I was so annoyed by the fridge freezer that I took it into parts and replaced the humid insulation. You can see me doing this job in my video on our youtube.
But its a hell of a job.
In our case the stainless was watertight, build #39. Where its not watertight and water gets under it is at the hole for the cooling pipes.

What I would suggest as a minimal efford with huge effect is to replace the seal.
We remouved the old seal.
I got stripes of magnetic stainless and glued it on the topegdge of the stainless bassin where the old seal was.
We ordered a custum sized, screw fixed freezer seal. (cheap its about 40 euros)
This seal is fixed with screws (dipped in sikaflex) to the top lid.

When the seal is fixed on the top, like on any comercial product, it does not move.
Additional the comercial standard magnetic seal produces and airtight seal.
The only moment when humidity enters is when we open the lid.

Hope that helps.

Oliver from Vela Nautica Amel54#39
Martinique

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020, 16:02 Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Except for the seal movement (need to check when I am back on the boat) my experience is the same as Arno. I also have the raised “grill” type platform on the bottom & agree with his analysis on the cause of the water accumulation.

I have the small opening.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA