Re: Volvo oil pressure

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Paul;

We had the same issue about a couple of years ago. For us, it ended up being a bad pressure switch. This is basically an on-off switch with a minimum set pressure in the switch. If the pressure is below this threshold, you will get a low pressure warning. To ensure this is not the problem, you can remove the pressure switch and attach an oil pressure gauge where the pressure switch was removed. Then you can confirm the actual oil pressure. As I recall, if the oil pressure remains at or above 1 bar at idle, the issue it the pressure switch.

If you do find this to be an issue, you have to order the oil pressure switch from Volvo France that has actually performed the ground isolation on these engines. If you order from your serial number at a Volvo dealer/supplier, like we initially did, you will receive a single wire non-isolated pressure switch.

On an unrelated issue, we do replace the oil and filter annually, regardless of the number of hours used during the year.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099