Re: Volvo oil pressure

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Paul;

We had the same issue about a couple of years ago. For us, it ended up being a bad pressure switch. This is basically an on-off switch with a minimum set pressure in the switch. If the pressure is below this threshold, you will get a low pressure warning. To ensure this is not the problem, you can remove the pressure switch and attach an oil pressure gauge where the pressure switch was removed. Then you can confirm the actual oil pressure. As I recall, if the oil pressure remains at or above 1 bar at idle, the issue it the pressure switch.

If you do find this to be an issue, you have to order the oil pressure switch from Volvo France that has actually performed the ground isolation on these engines. If you order from your serial number at a Volvo dealer/supplier, like we initially did, you will receive a single wire non-isolated pressure switch.

On an unrelated issue, we do replace the oil and filter annually, regardless of the number of hours used during the year.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 11:21 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Volvo oil pressure

Hi all,

I have a Volvo D3-110i-C with low oil pressure. I’m told by the local Volvo dealer that the engine will have to be taken out in order to replace the oil pump. I’m wondering what other factor may cause low oil pressure. Any opinion on this would be most welcome.

A bit of history on the problem. I changed the oil and oil filter after 188 engine hours which was 3 years. I then started getting low pressure warning after reducing from 1100rpm to idle. I checked the oil level and topped up to the top of the mark. After a couple of days I started getting low pressure warning whilst running at 1100rpm (to heat water). This was confirmed when the engineer attached a pressure gauge.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98 - Grenada

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.