Re: Cable feed into Main and Mizzen masts on a A54

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hello,

It is possible to use the ICOM M-802 only with its one tranceiver antenna BUT without its second antenna the emergency DSC trafic does not work.

The radio needs its two antennas for full emergency operation!

We use a backstay antenna via the antenna tuner
AND
On the second antenna plug the triatic.
It is also possible to use smaller active aerials for the second receiver.

Oliver from Vela Nautica Amel54#39
Martinique

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020, 21:25 Sv Garulfo <svgarulfo@...> wrote:
Hi,

I would need to double check but I would agree with Oliver re the triactic used as an SSB ASN receiver. At least the marking on the cables behind the shower light on Garulfo suggests that. And the fax receiver has its own specific antenna at the mizzen top. I think this is original Pochon work on behalf of Amel, circa 2009.

Best,

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Tahuata, French Polynesia

On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 at 13:53, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi Oliver, I don't think you are right. I have had the 802 for years and it does not need two aerials and the triactic is not intended for this purpose.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 30 April 2020 at 10:49 "Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica" <oliver.henrichsen@...> wrote:

Hello,
The triatic stay is used by the SSB ICOM M802 radio to receive DSC emergency trafic. Its only receiving on this antenna.

The M802 needs 2 antennas. For regular transmissions it uses a backstay or the whip antenna.

If you do not connect the second antenna you will not hear "nearby" stations in distress.

Oliver from Vela Nautica Amel54#39
Martinique

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020, 16:35 Arno Luijten < arno.luijten@...> wrote:
Yeah, Luna has the weatherfax as well. So I'm guessing there is a antenna cable between the nav-station and the mizzen mast. Although the reception of this thing seems quite sketchy. The pictures I get from it are very hard to make sense of.

REgarfds

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121