Re: Washing Machine and 50 htz

michael winand

We also have used the washing machine. Can be used with the engine alternator through the inverter. So if we have a hour or so of motoring and it's not too rough a load can be done.
Michael Elaine  Nebo sm251

On Sun, 3 May 2020 at 8:20, CW Bill Rouse
<brouse@...> wrote:
We always ran the washer on ocean crossings with the generator. It was no problem, but look at the rotation of the washer tub on an SM2k...maybe that helped.
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 4:09 PM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

This is one of those “duh” moments.

We have been aboard Cream Puff for 5+ year cruising full time. When in a marina with the incorrect cycles to run the washing machine, we have always run the genset periodically when needing to catch up on the laundry.

Now in Tahiti where voltage is like no other place on earth: 220v 60 htz, we parked in a marina and were disappoint when we discovered the wrong cycle for the washer/dryer.

Now comes the “duh” moment. Unplug the washer/dryer from its normal outlet and plug it into an outlet with power from the inverter. No need to run the generator. Also with a battery charger running (separate from the inverter/charger), there is no battery drain and no “pass through” power.

A couple of year ago, I upgraded the inverter aboard Cream Puff and it has ample wattage to run the washer/dryer. I have no idea as to why I didn’t think of earlier. If you haven’t thought of this yet either, you can buy me a beer later.

BTW – does anyone run the washer/dry while underway? We never have. I am wondering how the spin cycle works with the vessel pitching and rolling. I am interested to hear your thoughts on this.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us