Re: Washing Machine and 50 htz

Dan Carlson

We have started using the inverter this year. Nice to have the freedom from the generator.

We have a Bosch washer and the peake consumption is about 2500 watts for 3 minutes at the beginning of the cycle while it is heating the water.  Not all washers are as efficient.

We have the Victron MultiPlus Charger inverter and a 30 amp charger.

If you have the Victron Multi's it is important to remember that when it is connected to shore power it will shift frequency to the frequency of the shore power source.  That could be a bad surprise for your washer or microwave.  Best to have a dedicated small charger for when you are on shore power and the ability to keep your Victron Multi electrically separate from shore power unless you deliberately flip a switch.

Best regards, Daniel Carlson on sv BeBe, SM #387, currently in Les Saintes

On Sat, May 2, 2020, 5:00 PM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

This is one of those “duh” moments.

We have been aboard Cream Puff for 5+ year cruising full time. When in a marina with the incorrect cycles to run the washing machine, we have always run the genset periodically to catch up on laundry.

Now in Tahiti where voltage is like no other place on earth. 220v 60 htz, we parked in a marina and were disappoint when we discovered the wrong cycle for the washer/dryer.

Now comes the “duh” moment. Unplug the washer/dryer from is normal outlet and plug it into an outlet with power from the inverter. No need to run the generator. Also with a battery charger running (separate from the inverter/charger) there is no battery drain and no “pass through” power.

A couple of year ago, I upgraded the inverter aboard Cream Puff and it has ample wattage to run the washer/dryer. I have no idea as to why I didn’t this of this earlier. If you hadn’t thought of this yet either, you can buy me a beer later.

BTW – does anyone run the washer/dry while underway? We never have. I am wondering how the spin cycle works with the vessel pitching and rolling. I am interested to hear your thoughts on this.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us