Re: Ral Nr. for the red boat stripe on A54

Arno Luijten

Hi Lior,

Most Amels suffer this problem. I was able to get the color back with 3M gelcoat restorer. That works quite good. However red is a notoriously bad color for being exposed to sunshine. Many red cars look bad after some years because of it.

The red stripe is actually gelcoat and the white stripe is a sticker (striping) on top of it. The white is very close to RAL9001. The red I'm not sure, I'm guessing RAL 3011, RAL3016 or RAL3004. The point is that if you are going to repaint it, you should use AWL-Grip 2-part paint as that is one of the few paints that will hold it's shine and color at this place.
Like with all paints the secret of your success is in the preparation. You cannot spend too much time on preparation. For myself I'm considering to have this spray painted professionally as polishing this rubrail every time is becoming quite the drag.
Painting it also releases you from the exact color match. As long as it resembles the other reds on the boat, it is fine. You will not get an exact color match anyway as the gelcoat colors react differently to daylight compared to paint colors. You can get RAL color charts from here: https://www.ralcolorchart.com/buy-ral-color-fan-deck

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121