Re: Parasailor on A54

Joerg Esdorn

Good questions, Scott.  Here are my answers:

1.  I've not seen any chafe and I know literally thousands of boats use the Tacker for their cruising chutes.  I know because my father had one in 1987!  So I think it's going to be fine but I've only had it up maybe a total of 24 hours so I can't speak authoritatively on chafe.
2.  It does ok but most of the time in moderate winds the apparent wind moves aft quickly.  But it strikes me that your setup may be better for dead downwind passages in trade wind conditions - 20 knots or so.  I figure you can trim the windward sheet so that the clew is close to the pole, opening up the bottom of the sail more than if the clew were fixed at the forestay.  But I spoke to a A55 owner a while ago who said that it works great even dead downwind - the sail is simply sitting out on the leeward side rather than more toward the centerline.
3.  Yes, I have the standard sheet which is taking most of the load of the sail.  The windward sheet and guy each have small loops at their ends.  I run a soft shackle through those loops and through the bottom of a snap shackle which connects sheet and guy to the sail.  The snap shackle on the Tacker is hooked into that same soft shackle.  I crank in the sheet with the windward winch to reduce the amount of load taken by the forestay.  The guy prevents the ATN from moving up the forestay.    If I get a sudden gust, I can trip the snap shackle and the sail will fly out.  Just like you blow the guy on a conventional chute.   But it probably will be better to let the leeward sheet go and pull down the sock.  I've done that a bunch of times.
4.  Not an issue I've encountered but I don't sail dead downwind in light air.  That's slow.  135 degrees true wind angle is the way to go below about 11 knots, then you can fall off more.    Once a racer, always a racer I guess.
5. I will give it a try once I'm on a long downwind.  That's not anytime soon since I just postponed my trip to Irland, Scotland and the Faroe Islands to next year.

I love the wind generator.  Zero noise in the aft cabin; it has a special mount that prevents vibrations passing through to the mast.  It's no good in light air downwind, but if the apparent wind is at like 120 AWA or less, it adds to the solar nicely.  And at anchor, of course.  Remember they work 24 hours/day, so the fact that it may output 1.5A per hour only, still results in it inputting 36 AH over the day.  If the winds are fresh, I expect it to do 50Ah or more.  It's not very cost efficient, of course, but I'm a great proponent of using alternative energy when possible.

Joerg Esdorn
A55 Kincsem
On the hard in Vigo, Spain