Re: Replacement of carpets in SM

Patrick McAneny

We did the same as Gary ,making a template and cutting the carpet,then had the binding done, I think I undercut the carpet about 3/16" to allow for binding. We were surprise how well it all fit,as good as original. Not a hard job ,maybe a few hours,spent more time selecting the carpet,we went with a berber ,as the pile was short . Its been in about seven years and still looks great.
Stay Safe,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

-----Original Message-----
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, May 12, 2020 9:36 am
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Replacement of carpets in SM

Alexander, I am of no help in France but we made our own replacements without too much trouble.

We made a template.from large wrapping paper then bought a "remnant" piece from a big-box store. 

Cutting it with a box cutter was not too hard, just have to be careful.

Once we had the pieces cut out we took them to a real "Carpeting and Flooring" store and asked them to "Bind" the edges which they did nicely in only a couple of days.

We learned that the "Binding" process adds a small amount of extra material to the edges so our pieces were just a tiny bit too big but still fit ok. 

I think we will do it again this summer as the first attempt was mostly an experiment anyway.  It was not very expensive overall. 

Best wishes!

Gary W
SM 209, Adagio
Georgia, USA

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.