Re: Lubricant Oil for the z drive

ULRICH DANGELMEYER

Thank you Bill for this final and extensive clarification. Now, everything is clear.

Best Regards
Ulrich
<>
Am 13.05.2020 um 16:21 schrieb CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...>:

Thierry BALLARD is a good man and a valuable resource to Amel and Amel yacht owners. I like him a lot, but if he told you this, it is not the practice of the Amel yards and it is not what is specified in an Owners Manual which was written at the time that Amel switched.

About the time that Amel began producing the 55, Amel yards began using 80/90 gear oil that Amel specified in the Amel 55 manual for the C-Drive (photo below). I personally audited Amel employees servicing an Amel 54, changing the C-Drive seals, wear bushing, and oil. They used 80/90 gear oil (photo below). I specifically asked about this and they said they were instructed by Amel to use 80/90 gear oil for all C-drive models. Two years later, I audited them again, and again the same 80/90 gear oil was being used by Amel. I took the below photo of the oil being used by Amel. Note the red circle to the left. There was a PVC pipe, valve, and hose attached to this container. The Amel technician placed the container on the cockpit floor, ran the hose to the C-Drive reservoir, and opened the tap. The exact amount of oil was in the container. I apologize that I did not get a better photo of the PVC pipe and hose, but I am sure that you get the idea.
image.png

The following is a page from the Amel 55 manual:
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 7:06 AM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bill, I thought that was only for the bow thruster , now for the C-Drive as well? I have still been using 20-40.
Stay Safe,
Pat
SM#123