Re: Mizzen furler gearbox, A54 peculiarity?

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Thomas;

We had the same stiffening within a year of purchasing Kokomo. It got progressively worse to a point that we felt we may be damaging the gears by placing the amount of force required to furl and unfurl. I removed the gear box and found, as you did, a lot of water inside the box. We were in a situation that we did not have enough time to try and figure out how to get into the gear box and find a permanent solution. We drained it, let it dry out in the sun for a day and sprayed a good amount CorrosionX inside a temporary measure. That was four years ago and the furler has been super smooth since.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099