Re: Bulkhead Thickness & Screw length

Ryan Meador

Hi Richie,

The location you selected would not be my first choice, as (at least on our boat) that side of the bulkhead is covered in the same vinyl material as the headliner.  No doubt you could drill through it, but it makes more sense to me to mount it directly to wood.  If you want to go ahead with this plan, that bulkhead appears to be about 25mm thick.
IMG_20200514_094644.jpg
There's a large wooden beam directly under the mainmast, which I assume hides the compression post.  It's 17 cm wide, with a bit of a radius at the corner.  A 15 cm plate might just fit on the flat part.  I'd see if you can put it there, tucked up close to the bottom of the electrical panel (to the right of our fire extinguisher in the photo).  I can't hazard a guess as to how thick the wood is.

Another likely spot is forward of the head door, directly under the hatch.  That bulkhead is about 15 mm thick.
IMG_20200514_094701.jpg

Yet another option might be the shelf above the forward hanging locker.  It's pretty far outboard, so I'm not sure if it meets the requirement of "directly under the mast".  There's enough space for the plate in between the two doors on our boat.  If you want to hide it behind the door to the saloon, it will fit there too.  The front face of the shelf is about 18 mm thick.
IMG_20200514_095542.jpg

I hope this is helpful, and I also hope the dimensions on your boat are the same as ours.  This was a fun little diversion while I'm on conference calls.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 6:04 AM Richie Whyte <richiewhyte@...> wrote:
Hi Eric
She is being registered in Ireland. She was previously registered in the UK but with the UK leaving the EU we wanted to protect her EU VAT paid status and we couldn't get a straight answer from anyone so it made sense to move the registration.

Richie

Richie Whyte
Why Knot
SM2K#261