Re: Mizzen furler gearbox, A54 peculiarity?

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Randall;

Although our “temporary” fix of spraying CorrosionX in the furler has lasted over 4 years and the furler is still very smooth, it has been on our list to service the unit, once we figure out how to get into it. I have a few questions that I would appreciate your response on:

  1. Were you able to simply untwist the bottom cap of the furler assembly with the tool you sketched?
  2. All that was required was to clean everything inside?
  3. Were you able to reuse the bearing?
  4. Any other parts or lubrications needed?

Thanks for providing this very useful information and sharing your experience.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099