Re: European SM 240V looking to plug in 240V US Marina

eric freedman

I forgot to mention that you should mount a circuit breaker . I believe it is 30 or 35 amps where the cord enters the boat in the stern locker. It should be the same amperage as the breaker on the side of the 220 volt panel. (I’m not on the boat)

The only problem with just plugging into a 50 amp outlet is that you need more than 50 amps to shut off the power.

If there is a short somewhere in the shore power it might make a fire.

The galvanic isolator can then be mounted in the Amel’s green /yellow wire.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of eric freedman
Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2020 7:30 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] European SM 240V looking to plug in 240V US Marina

Hello Dominique,

I believe you have the wrong plug as you do not have a ground..

You want a 50 amp twist lock plug. It has 4 connections for USA boats. For European boats you use only 3 of the 4 connections.

The green/yellow from the boat goes to the green in the plug.

The blue from the boat goes to the black in the plug .

The brown from the boat goes to the red in the plug. .

The white neutral, is not used.

The neutral wire is used on USA boats to get 110 volts between the black or the red.-this is not used.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dominique Guenot
Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2020 6:28 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] European SM 240V looking to plug in 240V US Marina

Hello, 

My understanding: 

sv Viva #374 is wired for Europe 240V with 3 prongs; Phase (hot), Neutral, Ground

Ala Wai Marina in Hawaii does have 240V with 3 prongs, 2 Phases (hot)  and  Neutral. No ground, plug protected by a breaker at the Marina socket..
110V is coming between one phase and neutral. Then 240V is coming from the 2 phases.

I bought a socket NEMA L6-30P wich is fitting the Marina socket.   

My questions are:

1-How do I wire this NEMA L6-30P socket to replace the European Socket?

I foresee 2 mutually exclusive options: 
11- wire one US phase in the European Neutral
12-combine the 2 US phases in the European Phase 
Both options seems wrong ... 

2-Do I have to install a 30A "galvanic isolator" - as I have seen in previous threads - if the Marina socket is protected by a breaker?  

Any advice and tip will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks 
Dominique Guenot
+1 917 826 0945
sv Viva #374

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.