Hot Water Heater Power Consumption

Stephen Davis

The hot water heater on my SM is working normally except for one detail. Normally, when the heater is heating water it draws a little over 3 amps AC. When the water is hot, it usually draws 0 amps until it goes into a heating cycle again. Now, it seems to always have a background power draw of about .75 amps. What I’m wondering is if this means the heating element is partly degraded, but not to the point of popping the breaker yet.

Have any of you experienced this symptom, and should I just changed the element now, or could there be a different problem. I’d much prefer to change the element now than enroute to Alaska in a few weeks, but don’t want to do it at all if that is not the problem. Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Aloha,
Steve Davis
Aloha SM 72
Ko Olina, Hawaii