Re: Volvo oil pressure - single wire non-isolated switch

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Reudi;

To clarify, in order for the sensor to be isolated, you need two wires. You cannot have an isolated single wire sensor, since it will utilize the engine block as the negative leg of the connection.

I’m pretty sure you can get the sensor from other suppliers as long as the thread, length and pressure setting of the switch is correct and the electrical connection of the sensor matches what is existing on your engine. The reason why we did not spend any time trying to source from a different location, was because we had already spent a month in Greece chasing the part, after having received the wrong part ordering from our serial number. We knew that the sensor was bad and therefore the low pressure warnings could be ignored, but it was unsettling to know that something else could have gone wrong that would have lead to an actual low pressure, that we would not know about.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...>
Datum: Sonntag, 17. Mai 2020 um 03:08
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

Hi Ruedi;

In order for the sensor to be isolated ground, it needs to have 2 wires, since it cannot use the engine block as ground. If you use the serial number of the engine to order the part, a single wire non-isolated ground sensor will be sent. My understanding, in talking to Amel, is that Volvo ships the standard engine to Volvo France. Volvo France then does the required mods to Amel Specs, one of them being isolated ground. To my surprise, Volvo does not update this information in their data base to match the serial number.

Here's the contact information, provided by Amel, and part number that was correct for our engine:

GWEN MARINE Mr Gwenael Rambaud :   gwen@...

Part Number: 863169 Description: CAPTEUR PRESSION

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099