Re: Self Insurance

Patrick McAneny

Teun, I have often thought if we as sizable sub group of Amel owners approached an Insurance Co. with a group buy ,if it would be possible to obtain better coverage at a better price. The same way groups obtain group medical insurance at a better rate than individuals. 
Just a thought,
Pat
SM#123

-----Original Message-----
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, May 18, 2020 12:41 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Self Insurance

Hi Pat & Kent,

Since we might be able to make the point of: A) AMEL boats; B) AMEL owners - and therefore a lower risk (????) - combined with thoughts/approach similar to your concept below it might make sense to research a synthetic form by approaching an insurance company for a joint?

F.e: no USA insurance company is willing to write/cover my ASTON MARTIN but HAGERTY in MI specializes in this and insured at a lower premium than my the main USA insurers carry my BMW/AUDI.

Best Regards Teun
SV AMELIT  A54  #128

In storage on the hard in COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA
May 18, 2020 09:38:21

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842
AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Patrick McAneny via groups.io
Sent: Monday, May 18, 2020 05:56
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Self Insurance

This is a rough outline of a self insurance or shared risk co-op, that I sent Kent and thought I would share with the group. It was prompted by the hassle I have had with obtaining insurance, the restrictions and expense.  Bill suggested self insuring and just buying liability insurance, however in the event of a total loss, it would be a big financial hit, that I could not afford. However, if I could share that risk with even ten others or better yet many more, it would soften the loss. When you consider how few Amel's have been lost outside of a hurricane zone, the risk seems very low, and yet we need to insure against such a great financial lose.

1. A  LLC. formed

2. An administrator and board to accept membership ,assess deposit amount , administer funds and assess claims.

3. A one time deposit could be a percentage of agreed fixed value, perhaps 2 or 2.5% ,eg. $200,000 boat would amount to a $5000 deposit into the fund

4. Coverage would be for total loss , fixed value minus say 10% deductible. Figuring most owners could absorb some loss ,and insurance companies have deductibles as well. Hurricane zones excluded.

5. Perhaps lightning strike coverage , perhaps coverage would be ,replace with new equipment ,minus a 30 % deductible.This would probably be the largest source of loss. May have a surcharge or higher deductible for Florida locations.

6. All funds would be in an interest bearing account,if you can find anyone paying interest.

7. Upon leaving the group , the owner would receive a 50% refund of his deposit assuming they had no claims. 

8. Perhaps a .20% of fixed value annual fee to go to cost of administration .eg. $3000,000. boat x.20% = $600. annual fee

Assuming 200 owners/members at average boat value of $300,000 x 2.5 % = $7,500 deposit or $1,500,000.00 in funds.
a $300,000. loss of a boat would break down to a loss of $1,350. for each of the 200 members.

This could even work on a smaller scale . If ten owners shared responsibility for loss. $300,000 minus deductible of 10% ,would be $ 270,000.000 divided by ten owners or $27,000 per owner. Its all about spreading the risk.

I wonder why no group has formed a risk co-op as yet. Maybe because insurance used to be less restrictive and more reasonably priced .

Stay Safe,
Pat
SM 123
Shenanigans

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.