Re: Victron Quattro charger/inverter installation

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hello,

There are several reasons why I did not install the charger inverter in the old engine room location.

I did not like that computerised device in a hot and humid environment, special beside the watermaker. I experianced a spray from a hose right into old charger...

Victron advices installation in cool and dry place and the engine room is the opposite. Additional there is the bilge and whem someone takes a hot shower lots of steam whoop around..

With the ventilation arangement inside the multi plus its intended to be mounted vertical for best cooling. Thats not possible at the old place. Its also possible to mount it horizontal but u will not get best cooling.

I like to have short charging wires for best efficency and less losses, I would have needed to route additional wires for 120A charging. In the new location wires are short.

Now living with this upgrade more than 1.5 years full time anchored I would do it this way again. Its not that much trouble to rewire as you will need to change wires to larger sizes anyway.

Oliver from Vela Nautica Amel54#39
Martinique

On Wed, May 20, 2020, 09:54 Lior Keydar <lior246@...> wrote:
Dear Oliver

I still have on SHARONA (A54) the original installation of the inverter and the two charger (30, 100) with 12 lead acid batteries.  I think as a first step just to replace the old inverter and charger with Victron MultiPlus or Quattro and keep the old batteries for a few more month.

I saw that you installed your MultiPlus inverter near the batteries. Can I ask, why did you not installed it instead of the old inverter behind the generator? Would it be also easy to install it behind the generator?

Thanks
Lior SHARONA, A54 #18