Re: Victron Quattro charger/inverter installation

Arno Luijten

Hi,

This topic is somewhat frequent as mane Amels have a fairly limited inverter. Our Amel 54 is still stock and has the Mass Sine 2500 from Mastervolt that is actually only 2000 Watt continuously. So like may others I've been looking at alternatives.

The Victron 5kW is big, really big. It also has some small print where it states is will reduce it's output above 30 Deg. ambient temperature. I'm not saying the Vircron is not a good piece of kit, far from it, but it does have some drawbacks. Also the idle power consumption is significant.
I'm wondering why I would need 5kW. There is a case for it if you are using induction hobs for cooking, but I have no plans to convert in the foreseeable future.
I think the great improvement could be in the ability to use the washing machine, diswasher, maybe one of the A/C's
For this the inverter does not need to be more then 3.0-3.5kW continuously.
The other advantage is that a 5 kW inverter requires immense cables to the batteries, making it a big problem installing it in the Engine room, justifying the installation in the battery compartment. This again would require to move to Lithium to save battery-space... On and on it goes. So at present I'm looking into a few Mastervolt Mass-series boxes, also because this would integrate with all the other Mastervolt stuff from the later A54's

This brings me to the following question. Has anyone looked into the 24 Volt connection point in the engine room of a A54 next to the fusebox (see picture).
I notice there are feed cables of 95mm2 allowing for quite some power draw. Does anyone know where exactly these cables are connected on the supply side? Before or behind the main switches? As far as I can see this power-point is the main feed point for the fuse-box next to it is that correct?

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121