Re: Onan ballbearing check and valves values

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hello Craig,

Thanks for your explanation.

I would also rather tend to change the ball bearing, just wondered because my manual says: inspect every 2000h or 5 years, left me wondering how.?
Anyway I will prepare to change the ball bearing.

My Genset is ONAN MDKBM,
The ballbearing part no is: 510-0112

Does anybody know the specification / size of this bearing?

Oliver from Vela Nautica Amel54#39
Martinique

On Mon, May 18, 2020, 23:29 Craig & Katherine Briggs SN 68 Sangaris Tropic Isle Harbor, FL via groups.io <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Gary and Oliver,

Per my earlier post, (to Gary's 2 questions) 1. the rotor is bolted to the flywheel and is self-supporting. The end frame with its bearing is, of course, needed for support when the genset is running.  2. The bearing will slip in an out with only, perhaps, putting the new one in the freezer for awhile before inserting it.

And, Oliver, as to a procedure for checking the generator bearings for wear, I am unaware of a procedure for that and think you really want to replace it after the hours recommended in the manual (if I recall, it's 2500 hours). One really doesn't normally check bearings for wear - it is a preventive maintenance item and you really want to replace them before they wear "too much" and cause damage to other components.

This is not brain surgery - it is a simple DIY task that doesn't need a paid mechanic, unless, of course, that's how you choose to maintain your boat.

Good luck with it,
Craig