lowering mainsail

william reynolds

I've looked at all the old topics concerning dropping the furling mainsail and found a lot of  'what was Amel thinking'? on the length of the main halyard.  I've sailed many, many boats in my life but have never seen a furling main that could not be lowered with the installed halyard. One of the times you would w ant to lower it would be because of a mainsail failure/jam and it's probably going to be in adverse conditions. Trying to find a line, bend it on and then attempt to lower the main these   conditions  is not a safe prudent solution. Why did they do this? What was the reasoning and rational? Any reasonable answers?
Bill Reynolds - CloudStreet