Re: lowering mainsail

Since the main and mizzen are in-mast furling sails and rarely dropped, having short halyards for the main and mizzen reduces line clutter on the deck. It is actually simple to use a messenger for both.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Sat, May 23, 2020, 5:33 PM william reynolds <sail23692@...> wrote:
I've looked at all the old topics concerning dropping the furling mainsail and found a lot of  'what was Amel thinking'? on the length of the main halyard.  I've sailed many, many boats in my life but have never seen a furling main that could not be lowered with the installed halyard. One of the times you would w ant to lower it would be because of a mainsail failure/jam and it's probably going to be in adverse conditions. Trying to find a line, bend it on and then attempt to lower the main these   conditions  is not a safe prudent solution. Why did they do this? What was the reasoning and rational? Any reasonable answers?
Bill Reynolds - CloudStreet