Re: lowering mainsail

Arno Luijten

Hi William,

This is not unique for Amel. Oyster, Hallberg Rassy and other do the same for the bigger yachts. If you have 18 meters or more of mast the halyards become very, very long. As you rarely lover the sail anyway the tail of this halyard will be dangling at the base of the mast for almost eternity. This is not very practical. So what you do is you use a half-halyard with a Flemish-eye at the tail side. This eye is used to tie as mouseline to  (I'm using 6mm dyneema) if you need to lower the mainsail or genua.
This mouse-line sits normally in one of the cockpit lockers and is not used for other purposes.
On the Amet 54 you have a special track slider to tension the main halyard once it's up. I think the A55 has a secondary slide for the Genua as well.

Kind regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121